Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Texas hold'em


Top game this Christmas

I'll wager that some of you, like me, were the recipients of what appears to have been the biggest selling game this Christmas - Texas Hold'Em Poker.

Mine came complete with a nice aluminium case and green baize playing surface, along with a good quality deck of cards and a rack full of chips. I had noticed that even supermarkets such as Asda in South Shields were selling them in the run up to Christmas, but I had not expressed any particular interest in owning such a set. I had even noticed them whilst looking for toys for the children in Toys R us in the Metro Centre.

The only notional interest that I had shown in the game was a fascination in watching the body language and facial expressions of the players involved in TV tournaments, I guess I learned a little about the game on television, but have never harboured any ambitions to play it, and certainly not to risk any of my lowly earnings on the turn of a card! However, my wife must have thought differently, but how does one play a game of poker in a house consisting of myself, my wife (who struggles to play "snap"), and two young children?
My son, Junior Curly, aged eight, encouraged me to teach him the rudimentary rules as described in the leaflet, and then the two of us played for a few hours on Boxing Day and he swiftly deprived me of all of my chips! I'd better keep an eye on him as he grows older!


Now, having read of our New Labour Councilor's desire to slap another heavy tax on us to fulfill their spending wishes for another year, one has to consider if they have a pair in the hand before seeing the flop, they certainly look like they are prepared to go "all in" to win the game, and I doubt if they are "bluffing". Are the opposition prepared to "raise" or "call" and see them?

Britain's best selling Christmas game.


_________________________________________________________________






About Me

Curly
Born in 1956
Sanddancer
Sunderland fan
Male
Retailer
Former Borough Councillor
View my Profile

Contact

Email Curly

south-shields AT
blueyonder DOT co DOT uk

Got a story?
Got a tip off?
Got some scandal?
Let me know!

07941386870

Search

Search this site

Comments

How do I make a comment on this blog?
Iain Dale Guide to Blogging
Links

Curly's Corner Shop website
Curly's Photoshop
My Message Board
Shields photo gallery
RTG Message Board
Sunderland AFC Blog
Site Feed
Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory

British Blogs.


Blogroll Me! Top of the British Blogs
Past

December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007


.