Wednesday, June 01, 2005

David Miliband

Praise the Lord! (well....the Minister actually)

I received, quite by surprise, a welcome email from our MP David Miliband, the Minister of Communities and Local Government, today. He had been reading this blog, particularly the posts referring to Redhead's Landing, it appears that he too shares the concerns of a number of local people about it's current state of total closure. The surprising thing to me is that a Cabinet minister can find some time in his busy schedule to read Curly's Daily Comment and to look at my main site Curly's Corner Shop. I find that to be humbling and gratifying, I also find it to be remarkable that someone in such high office still cares about the little things in life. The issue about public access to Redhead's Landing suits his title admirably, it is a community issue, and one which local government may have to deal with.

Although I could never be described as a natural supporter of the Labour Party, I set this as another welcome example of David's desire to be totally involved with South Shields, and illustrates his yearning to keep in touch at grass roots level. Yet again, he has shown himself to be quite different to his predecessor David Clark. I am grateful for his proactive approach to the issue, nobody asked him to do anything, and as far as I am aware his post bag isn't bulging with complaints about Redhead's Landing. It's one of those small issues with great importance to only a few people, but yet, he cares! Three cheers for David Miliband!

Here is the text of his email;

"Graham,

I note that you are asking about Readhead's Landing on your web site, and I have recently raised this matter with Mrs Amanda Skelton, Executive Director for Neighbourhood Services.

It is important that this matter is addressed, as I know a number of my constituents who are ship enthusiasts or photographers use this area for their hobbies. I will contact you again as soon as I receive a reply from Mrs Skelton.

Best wishes.

David"


I really ought to make a post on my Message Board to remind people that the issue is being looked at and hasn't been forgotten, I'm currently waiting for further information from Terry Collins, head of Streetscape at the Council, about the land's status as a public right of way.

Laygate Parking Issue

Since my post of 20th. May about the dangerously parked vehicles in Laygate, I've had mail from Northumbria Police and their Senior Traffic Warden in South Shields, Harry Mellish, as you will be aware the Council still has to complete the road lining and signage here before the traffic wardens can take enforcing action. This work is of an urgent nature to prevent accidents involving drivers on the wrong side of the carriageway, and pedestrians who, when attempting to cross the road, have a very restricted view of vehicles leaving the roundabout and heading towards Frederick Street. I have been in touch with the ward Councillor Michael Clare, so hopefully we may see some progress in this matter.

Kindergarden Cop

No, it's not big Arnie's film! St. Wilfred's RC School in Harton Lane is to recruit security guards to help with the supervision of children during school hours. This follows a bullying attack on a young lad which was captured on a mobile phone camera and distributed amongst the other pupils! Read the Shields Gazette report here. I personally find this to be a bit disturbing, and I'm not sure about what type of message the school is sending out.
Are they emphasising the quality of supervision and their determination to stamp out bullying, or are they admitting failure in their efforts to control their young charges?
I really don't see the image of a uniformed security guard with any sense of comfort, it conjures up a picture of a drug ridden, weapon cached, school in "da hood" in an American inner city area! Is this really what parents want to see in the schoolyard, or would they prefer just good honest firm but fair supervision from the current teaching staff and their assistants?
I wonder what the teachers think about the decision?

_________________________________________________________________






About Me

Curly
Born in 1956
Sanddancer
Sunderland fan
Male
Retailer
Former Borough Councillor
View my Profile

Contact

Email Curly

south-shields AT
blueyonder DOT co DOT uk

Got a story?
Got a tip off?
Got some scandal?
Let me know!

07941386870

Search

Search this site

Comments

How do I make a comment on this blog?
Iain Dale Guide to Blogging
Links

Curly's Corner Shop website
Curly's Photoshop
My Message Board
Shields photo gallery
RTG Message Board
Sunderland AFC Blog
Site Feed
Search For Blogs, Submit Blogs, The Ultimate Blog Directory

British Blogs.


Blogroll Me! Top of the British Blogs
Past

December 2004 January 2005 February 2005 March 2005 April 2005 May 2005 June 2005 July 2005 August 2005 September 2005 October 2005 November 2005 December 2005 January 2006 February 2006 March 2006 April 2006 May 2006 June 2006 July 2006 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007


.